Saturday, February 11, 2012

Italian Zucchini Pie

This is another recipe I have had from many years ago. DH is not a fan of zucchini so I never make it but had to try it today. (I had two servings for lunch) I think if he just tries it, he will like it. 
 Italian Zucchini Pie 6 servings (if you are using an 8 inch pie crust/pan, cut the recipe in half)
 4 c thinly sliced zucchini (no need to peel it)
 1 c chopped onion 
1/4 c margarine (I had some butter so used that - I'm sure that made it taste better)
 2 Tbsp dried parsley or 1/2 c chopped fresh parsley 
1/2 tsp salt 
1/2 tsp pepper 
1/4 tsp garlic powder 
1/4 tsp basil
 1/4 tsp oregano (I used a little more as I really like oregano) 
2 eggs 
8 oz mozzarella, shredded 
10 inch pie crust
 2 tsp prepared mustard (I used dijon) 
 Preheat oven to 375 degrees. 
 Cook and stir zucchini and onion in margarine about 4 minutes. Stir in salt, pepper, garlic powder, basil and oregano and cook 1-2 minutes longer. It will be a litle watery. Using a slotted spoon, remove zucchini from pan and place in a large mixing bowl. Discard liquid. (I could have eaten the zucchini just like this as a side dish. Will have to remember that for another meal.) Slightly beat the eggs and add to the zucchini. Add the 2 cups cheese. Stir to mix well. Spread mustard in bottom of prepared pie crust. I did not measure - just squirted some in the pie crust and spread with the back of a spoon. Pour in zucchini mixture and spread evenly. Bake 20 - 25 minutes until center is set. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment