Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Egg in Toast

I'm sure there are some fancier names for this breakfast standby - like maybe Bird in a Nest - but I am just calling it Egg in Toast - because that is what it is.
I never cooked this for my kids when they were little although I know it is a favorite of many moms. One of the babysitters would cook if occasionally for them. I thought I would give it a try this morning.



Egg in Toast:
Slice of bread
Egg
Butter or Margarine
Salt and pepper to taste

I had a loaf of fresh bread from the bakery - one of those football shapes French loaves that are so good! I cut a slice about 1 inch thick and then used a juice glass to cut a circle out in the center of the slice.
Butter the bread on both sides and lay in a hot skillet. Place a pat of butter in the hole.
When the butter is melted, break the egg into a small bowl - gently pour into the hole in the bread.
Allow to cook until the bread is golden brown and the egg is set on the bottom.
Flip gently and brown on the other side.
Serve immediately - salt and pepper to taste.

I had some sausage links left over from our pancake dinner a couple nights ago and some fresh cantaloupe - yummy breakfast!

No comments:

Post a Comment