Sunday, April 28, 2013

Simple Baked Apples

Simple Baked Apples
I modified the recipe in the Betty Crocker cookbook to make these.  They were easy and tasted pretty good.
Apples
Brown sugar
Margarine
Cinnamon and sugar mixture (I have this on hand in a shaker)
Dried cranberries (optional)
Water
Juice of a lemon

I cut the apples in half and used a melon baller to remove  the core and removed the stem and opposite end with a paring knife. Mix the lemon juice and water in a shallow bowl and dip each apple half in the solution, being sure that all the cut edges of the apple are rinsed with the lemon water. Place the apple halves cut side up in a baking dish.


 In the center of each apple half, place approximately 1 teaspoon of brown sugar.  The apples are still wet from the lemon water so the sugar will start dissolving - that is okay.

 Top each with some margarine - about 1/2 tsp I guess, I just ran my knife across the soft spread like I was buttering toast.

 Sprinkle with the cinnamon sugar mixture. You could also use a little nutmeg if you want.  That would taste like apple pie.

 I added a few dried cranberries to a few of them.  My daughter does not care for cranberries and wasn't sure my husband would eat them (found out later cranberries were okay - just not raisins!)  You could also add a few walnuts or pecans if you like.  The next time I make these I will try to remember to put the cranberries (and nuts if desired) in the apple first. 
Pour about 1/4 inch of water in the bottom of the pan. 
Cover loosely with aluminum foil and bake at 375 for 35-40 minutes until the apples are soft. 

 And here they are. The lemon juice keeps the apples from turning brown.  Mine took about 45 minutes but the apples were cold when I started - straight from the refrigerator. 
You can spoon some of the water in the bottom of the pan over the apples during the cooking but my pan was packed and could not easily get to the water in the bottom.  It was okay without doing that.

I served them by placing an apple half in a dessert bowl and spooning a little of the water/juices in the bottom of the pan over top, then a dollop of non-dairy topping.  You could also drizzle some of the juices over the topping. 

No comments:

Post a Comment