Sunday, January 19, 2014

French Bread - bread machine

French Bread
(I have used this recipe to make breadsticks, long narrow loaves or knots like in the photo.  Works well for all)

1 3/8 cup water
1 1/2 Tbsp olive oil
1 1/2 tsp salt
4 cups flour
1 Tbsp sugar
2 tsp bread machine yeast

Place all in bread machine and process on dough setting.
When completed remove from the machine and shape as desired. Let rise 45-60 minutes.  You can brush the tops with some beaten egg if you like.  This adds a nice gloss to the crust.  Bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes or until lightly browned. If desired, brush with butter while still warm.

Breadsticks and loaves - I divide the dough into 3 equal parts.   Two of these I shape into long slender loaves and bake in a French loaf pan.   I spray the pan with olive oil and sprinkle on a little corn meal. 
The third piece I divide into 12 equal pieces and roll each between my hands to make a rope about 6-8 inches long.  Spray a baking sheet and sprinkle with corn meal.  Place the ropes side by side, not touching, on the baking sheet.

Knots. -  Divide dough into 24 equal pieces.  Spray a baking sheet.  Roll each piece between hands to make a rope about 6-8 inches long.  Loop into a circle and push one end through the center making a knot.  Place these on the baking sheet, leaving some space between them.  I can get all 24 on my baking sheet (4 x 6) and they will rise and touch as they bake. 


No comments:

Post a Comment