Saturday, February 21, 2009

Bread Pudding - Crock Pot

Bread Pudding

8 slices bread (raisin bread works well although my family doesn't like the raisins so I use a Pepperidge Farm cinnamon swirl bread if I have some on hand)
4 eggs
2 cups milk
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup melted butter or margarine
1/2 cup raisins (1/4 cup if you use raisin bread - again my family doesn't care for the raisins so I don't add them)
1/2 tsp cinnamon (the first time I used the cinnamon swirl bread I cut back on the cinnamon but that did not work - evidently there is not that much cinnamon in the cinnamon swirl bread. I will just use the same amount as regular bread next time)

Spray the crockpot with vegetable oil spray. Cut bread into cubes or tear into small pieces and place in crockpot. Mix together remaining ingredients and pour over bread. Stir to mix. Cook on High for 1 hour and then on Low for 3-4 hours until thermometer placed in center reads 160 degrees.

Sauce:
2 Tbsp butter or margarine
2 Tbsp flour
1 cup water
3/4 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla

Melt margarine in saucepan. Stir in flour until smooth. Gradually add water, sugar and vanilla. Bring to a boil. Continue to boil, stirring constantly, until thickened (about 2 minutes). Serve over warm bread pudding.

No comments:

Post a Comment