Saturday, March 1, 2014

Blueberry Cobbler



Tonight we were having leftovers so I thought I would make dessert.  I usually don't make dessert as I don't need the extra calories.  Tom usually has cookie dough or some other sweets stashed in his man cave and that is his dessert.

This is a recipe I found in a crock pot cookbook.  It can be made with any berries - fresh or frozen.  If using frozen be sure to thaw and drain them first.  I did not do that and mine was very watery after it cooked in the crockpot. I knew I could thicken it with corn starch but have not had much luck doing that in the crock pot so I poured the berries and liquid into a medium saucepan and cooked to a boil. When boiling, I dissolved 2 tsp corn starch in about 1/4 cup cold water. Added that to the blueberries and stirred well. As it boiled and thickened, I kept stirring until it was about the consistency I wanted.



Blueberry Cobbler (can use other berries or combination)

3 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
1/3 cup sugar
1/3 cup water
1 tbsp lemon juice
Mix together in a 3-4 qt crock pot.  Cook on High for 1 - 1 1/2 hours or Low for 5-6 hours.

About 30 minutes before serving, prepare the dough for the dumplings.
1 cup baking mix (Bisquick or similar)
2 Tbsp sugar
1/3 cup milk
cinnamon
Mix together the baking mix and sugar.  Add the milk and stirred just until all is moistened. Turn the crock pot to High if it is not already.   Drop in 6 spoonsful on the blueberries.    Let cook, checking occasionally, until the dumplings are cooked. They will expand and get firmer, a toothpick inserted will come out clean.

To serve, place a dumpling into each of 6 bowls and spoon the blueberries over top.  Serve with whipped cream or ice cream.


If the blueberry mixture is too watery like mine was, thicken it by placing in a saucepan and boiling.  Mix 2 tsp corn starch into 1/4 cup cold water.  Pour into the boiling mixture while stirring to blend it well.  Let boil for a few minutes to get thick and then drop the dough on top in 6 mounds. Sprinkle with a little cinnamon.
Turn down to simmer and cover the pan.  Allow to cook 5-10 minutes, checking the dumplings occasionally. 


No comments:

Post a Comment